The Castello di Volpaia was built in the 11th century as a fortified village on the Florence/Siena border. Although only part of the original protective walls and two of its six towers are still standing, the medieval layout and buildings within the village are still intact, making Volpaia undoubtedly one of the best preserved villages of its period.
The most important renaissance building is the Church of Sant’Eufrosino. Attributed to Michelozzo, it was deconsecrated in 1932 and declared a National Monument in 1981.
In 1250 Volpaia became an important part of the Lega del Chianti. One of the village’s most illustrious families were scientific instrument makers. The family took its surname from the village itself and during the renaissance Benvenuto and Lorenzo della Volpaia became famous. Not only was the latter a friend of Leonardo da Vinci but their instruments are still on view at the Science Museums in Florence and Greenwich, as well as the Adler Planetarium in Chicago and Palazzo Vecchio in Florence.
Throughout the centuries the families who owned the village and its vineyards dedicated themselves to the arts and wine making and thanks to their foresight the village has managed to keep its original architectural features.